Wednesday, February 9, 2011

an evening in the campus....

Today happened to be the first java lab session I was attending for the semester. As the clock approached five I was already looking at the prospect of attending a programming lab with a good deal of irksomeness. My aversion to programming languages is because I don’t get it easily but well, I never admit it and argue that they are not one bit as good as biology(that’s actually true). So anyway, I ambled lazily to the computer science department and finally to the third floor, where I stood for a while relishing the picturesque view of the college and fields beyond. And finally two hours of whiling away the time, chatting, copying stuff.. and we were out.. My college as it is, never lets girls roam in the campus after six thirty and because of this readymade excuse, me and my friend decided to stall going in for a while.
We were both ravenous and decided to go to the canteen, where we greedily hogged crispy dosa with chutney and sambar. I then had this urge to go to the temple. I am not exactly a religious person and do not frequent to the temple or pray regularly. But somehow, there is this nice soothing solace that sets in whenever I go. So, we went to this little ganapathy temple that is in one corner of the campus and man, was it good! There sat mr. ganesha in a crisp white dhoti, adorned by red and white hibiscus. Beside him were a couple of other stone idols(I dunno who they are) who also likewise were in white dhoti . Some of the college boys totally unrecognizable in dhoti where chanting Vedas along with the pundit. After a very long time, I actually was able to summon the feelings of devotion today and prayed to God that everyone should get what they deserve (like they would’n otherwise). It was a bedlam of chirruping in the trees nearby. On a normal day I would not really enjoy it, but today it blended so well with the scene.. the blackish blue sky, the calm campus, chill evening breeze of the spring, dark trees, a small little temple, the chanting of Vedas and the birds chirping in their cosy nests !! I felt a strange, pleasant peace engulfing me as I walked back to my hostel.
And I realized, I don’t exactly have to go to Switzerland or Ooty or Kashmir to see the wonder that nature is. It is seen in all its splendour in every little thing around me.. the fluttering butterflies, the cuckoo singing on summer evenings, the setting sun in a shade of fiery red, the sun shining resplendently on the lustrous green fields, as its rays filter in through the tinted windows of my classroom, a lonely bus in the highway seen from my hostel window, the rainbows that stretch against the azure sky over the football ground after a brief raining spell, the smell of the moist earth freshly wet by that rain, the hazy blur that my campus becomes when it rains madly, the little lavender flowers and ochre buds in the bushes that stand on one side of the campus roads, the little flowers in a riot of colours, white, pink, shocking pink and yellow all over the campus, the rising silvery moon on wintry evenings, right over my favourite tree with dew drop like fragrant white flowers, in these does nature show her grandeur that leaves me mesmerized, speechless as it did today.. I almost feel like wordsworth as he stood admiring the London skyline at the Westminster bridge!! Ah,Life is so beautiful..

1 comment:

Aryana Vividkarsh said...

The fact that we don't have to travel anywhere else to enjoy nature is quite true you know.. The view from my room window is simply superb, especially during winter mornings. I am a person who can't last long without the warmth of the sun. So I stare at the hazy white circle in the white winter sky that is the sun and try to warm myself. I look through the canopy of leaves of the neem tree that filters the sunlight and I see and feel the beam of wonderful energy; it is simply magical! Better are the afternoons. There are no rain clouds to steal away the blue sky from me. The sight of green leaves against the outrageously blue sky is what one can say "delicious" (if you can understand the feel). Even as I'm typing, I steal a glance behind me at my favorite part of the lawn. Wow! What a sight indeed!!