Sunday, February 26, 2012

Behind the dark brown veil..


As someone helped him into the train, the first glimpse of him, I caught..
With filth his faithful friend, to a corner he crawled,
An emaciated body, deformed legs, unkempt hair and dark sagging skin..
A battered bag and secluded solitude were he all he owned.
On the nondescript puckered face below the layer of grey,
Intriguing me the most, in the deep sockets, a pair of dark brown eyes lay..

As secret glimpses of him I stole, wondering what his story was,  
Hasty glances of pity and revulsion others cast.
May be with a family to feed, he was once a healthy man..
Or was born a beggar with the privileges exclusive to that clan.

How I wish I could see through that dark brown veil!
Was it profound sadness for having been deserted..
Or palpable excitement about where he was headed?
Was it inconsolable sorrow for having none to love..
Or sublime satisfaction that comes only when there is nothing to lose?
Was it utter despair or a glimmer of hope?

Wish I could fathom the mystery behind that dark brown veil..
Of the beggar on the train I caught glimpses of…!!!